Tuesday, June 22, 2010

wk 4 Learning Theories T2P reflection

If I can increase my subject matter to include a mastery of my students' culture then I can respectfully use aspects of their culture to create an environment that fosters memorable experiences, leading to long-term learning. This will occur because according to Nel Noddings theory of relational caring, students will recognize this as a sign that I genuinely care about them as individuals and not just as means to test results or a paycheck. It is morally important to remember Ayers' question of "Who are we teaching for?" It is my responsibility to remember that I am teaching for the betterment of my students and as such, in addition to teaching my curriculum, I need to model the caring and loving qualities that I hope my students will exhibit as they become participating members of society.

Additionally, if I can create a multicultural curriculum that respects and recognizes the delicate emotional states that students will be transitioning through (as described by Phinney's moded of Ethnic Identity) as they discover who they are becoming as young adults, then my students will create long-term understanding because they will feel cared for and respected and able to connected with the material I am trying to teach them.

2 comments:

  1. Meg,

    Your T2P hypothesis is solid. You must now take to from abstract-philosophical to concrete. You clearly know the theories that resonate, and I'm certain have many ideas whirling about in your mind about how you will make your philosophy "real." Let's hear a couple. Please provide a couple specific ideas, pedagogical practices, you will employ (assessments, texts, activities, practices, etc.) you believe will demonstrate to your students your care and encourage their growth as "participating members of society." Keep pressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UPDATED WITH MORE CONCRETE PRACTICE EXAMPLES
    If I can increase my subject matter to include a mastery of my students' culture then I can respectfully use aspects of their culture to create an environment that fosters memorable experiences, leading to long-term learning. This will occur because according to Nel Noddings theory of relational caring, students will recognize this as a sign that I genuinely care about them as individuals and not just as means to test results or a paycheck. It is morally important to remember Ayers' question of "Who are we teaching for?" It is my responsibility to remember that I am teaching for the betterment of my students and as such, in addition to teaching my curriculum, I need to model the caring and loving qualities that I hope my students will exhibit as they become participating members of society. I can do this in simple ways such as chatting with kids at the beginning of class or in the halls about what they did during the weekends. I can attend extracurricular activities like sporting events or plays as a way to show students I support them not only academically but personally as well. I can also allow students to add more personal perspectives into their work, for example I could have them write a letter to the DEP (Department of Environmental Protection) stating their concerns over environmental laws in CT. This will allow me a perspective into what they are passionate about. Assessments like these can also help me to shape my lesson plans to include areas they enjoy. (Perhaps some students are passionate about green energy, I could use solar powered energy as a way to introduce electron behavior.)

    Additionally, if I can create a multicultural curriculum that respects and recognizes the delicate emotional states that students will be transitioning through (as described by Phinney's moded of Ethnic Identity) as they discover who they are becoming as young adults, then my students will create long-term understanding because they will feel cared for and respected and able to connected with the material I am trying to teach them. For example, I can include case studies and biographies of non-western, non-Anglo scientists to help students see how their culural background relates to chemistry.

    ReplyDelete